A word from Karen
Posted on September 15, 2018 by Iosis
Karen is a financial mentor at Iosis. She works with many of the men on our programmes.
“I work closely with the men and their partners to help them find ways to reduce financial stress,” she tells us. “Financial stress can have a huge impact on relationships. It can really take the pressure off a family when they get back on track financially.”
Karen says that’s where Iosis’ wraparound approach really comes into play. Clients can work with the Parent Support team who will assist with household management including reducing their grocery bill, menu planning and shopping on a budget. And when clients are feeling overwhelmed or having problems with family violence, depression or housing, she refers them to our Social Workers who can help them with these issues.
Karen’s tips for reducing financial stress:
- Ask for help when you notice your finances going off track – don’t leave it until you’re in crisis.
- Create a budget to follow.
- Check you’re getting all your entitlements from WINZ and IRD (your financial mentor can help with this too).
- Understand where your money is going each week. Take control by ‘telling your money where to go, instead of wondering where it went’.
- Think about how you can reduce your household expenses – things like making ‘takeaways’ at home can make a huge difference.
- Always try to pay off high interest debts first – and read contracts carefully before signing them!